While there is no shortage of “Best PR Blogs” posts out there, I’ve put together a list of my favorites based on what I’m reading these days. Along the way, I found a few I need to spend more time with (and shared them). As a bonus, I also included some non-PR blogs I think PR people should read. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
My Favorite PR Blogs
These are my ‘must have’, can’t live without PR blogs (in alphabetical order)…
- A Shel of My Former Self – you’ll find Shel Holtz’s blog ‘at the intersection of communication and technology’. Shel knows his stuff, enough said.
- Brian Solis – Brian offers so much more than “PR” knowledge these days, it’s almost unfair to put him on this list. That said, he’s one of the leading innovators in our industry and is somebody you should pay attention to when he posts (he’s also a pretty nice guy). If you want to know what people will be talking about next year, just read Brian’s blog today.
- Dave Fleet – PR professional who explores the intersection of communications, marketing and social media. Always great, insightful content on his blog. Surprisingly, Dave is one of the few people on this list I have met. What’s up with that?
- PRDaily – PRDaily does a great job at sifting through all the top PR news of the day and packaging it in one, nice and tidy digest. PRDaily has climbed to the top of the charts for me in 2010. They do a great job at pulling stories related to PR and social media as well.
- PRNewser – this is MediaBistro’s best blog. If you want to keep tabs on what’s shakin’ in the PR world, you’ll learn about it first PRNewser (co-editors @jasonchupick and @joeciarallo are great at what they do).
- PRSarahEvans.com – while I love Sarah’s blog, I find Commentz even more valuable (it’s awesome) – subscribe today, you won’t regret it. Then again, if you don’t know who Sarah Evans is yet, you’ve got some catching up to do (see also #journchat and MediaOnTwitter).
- PR-Squared – Shift Communications’ blog about social media marketing and public relations (they were blogging about social media before it was cool).
Don’t miss my non-PR blogs PR pros should be reading list on the next page.
Other PR Blogs Worth a Look
They might not be in my reader, but I check these blogs out regularly enough that they should be (presented in no particular order)…
- The Publicity Hound’s Blog – great ‘how tos’ from publicity expert Joan Stewart
- WiredPRworks – Barbara Rozgonyi’s PR blog always has fresh and interesting content.
- Ogilvy PR 360 Digital Influence Blog – I don’t read it everyday, but regularly find great posts on Ogilvy PR’s 360 Digital Influence blog – there are some smart cookies over there.
- prTini - I’ve found myself on prTini so often that I should probably move it up further on the list – check it out for yourself, you won’t be disappointed (anything that combines PR and martini should be a safe bet).
- The Bad Pitch Blog – a good reminder for how NOT to do your job. I just wish Richard would write another book as good as “Full Frontal PR” – at the time, that was cutting-edge – I digress.
- The Flack – Peter Himler does a great job with his blog. I usually enjoy his posts. He’s one of those seasoned pros that really gets where things are headed (and is actually doing something with the knowledge). I would have told him so if he didn’t disappear so fast from the KloutUp in NYC last week).
- Communications Conversations – Arik Hanson’s blog is fantastic. You know that neighbor with the manicured lawn? Arik’s blog is like that – well manicured and the envy of the neighborhood.
- Peter Shankman – it’s hard not to be impressed with the impact Peter has had on the industry over the past couple of years. I respect him as an entrepreneur and am amazed by the stamina he appears to have. His blog will help you stay current in the industry (and it will probably motivate you to get off your ass and do more).
- Deirdre Breakenridge – great insight on PR 2.0 strategies (personally I think her stuff is more like PR 3.1).
- National Public Relations Examiner – I have to put this one on the list because Valerie Simon works pretty darn hard to provide good content – and she’s one of those pay-it-forward PR pros making the industry better each day.
Non-PR Blogs PR Pros Should Read
So much of PR is NOT PR these days. It’s important to have a solid base of knowledge across social media, search and other marketing disciplines. Here’s a couple of blogs I check often (yes, they’re in my reader)…
- Dan Zarrella – Dan Zarrella calls himself a social media scientist. Once you start reading the content that comes out of his labs, you’ll see why – he deserves the title. Want to know the best day to send a tweet? How about the best words to use in your Facebook status update? This is the future of PR – learn it now.
- TopRank Online Marketing Blog – more a search engine mastery blog than a PR blog, Lee Odden’s TopRank Online Marketing Blog provides some of the best, practical advice out there for digital PR pros.
- WebInkNow – David Meerman Scott’s blog is a great place to keep up with the latest trends in marketing and public relations. His latest book deals with real-time communications, something I’m pretty excited about (in case you can’t tell).
- HubSpot – the HubSpot crew is really, really smart. If you’re not familiar with the concept of inbound marketing yet, you should check out this blog. These guys give so much knowledge away that others would charge six figures for. Why not get it for free?
PR Blogs I Need to Explore Further
So many PR blogs, so little time. I hear good things about these blogs and plan to check them out on a more regular basis (presented in no particular order). So I’m not endorsing them, but rather inviting you to discover them with me. If you’re already familiar with them, please share your thoughts in the comments.
- Young PR – Paull Young’s PR blog from the land down under.
- KoiFish – my newest PR blog discovery, despite it’s self-proclamation of being the world’s second best PR blog.
- Tom Murphy – Murphy’s Law – blogging about PR and other things since 2002.
- PRPerspective – PR news as it happens – PRPerspective aggregates PR news from multiple sources (I’m looking forward to checking this one out further).
- PR Fuel – eReleases blog provides a lot of great how-tos and practical advice for PR pros.
- Drew B’s Take on Tech PR – need to read this one more often.
- Spin Sucks – the ‘fight against destructive spin’ – this one sounds right up my alley.
- Metrica – brand promise: “get the buzz on social media and PR measurement and analysis” – sounds pretty relevant from where I’m sitting.
Okay, that’s my tour of blogs for the summer of 2010. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few that I love – so please remind me and I’ll amend the post.
In case you don’t like my list of the Best PR Blogs Out There, maybe one of these lists is more up your alley (I know, this makes my post sound real original, doesn’t it?):