I’ve seen a lot of buzz for blogger outreach lately. Next to social media marketing strategy development, it’s the number one social media offering for public relations agencies (and driving much of the increase in PR spending this year). Is blogger outreach really a new service offering? I don’t think so. I think it’s just a different way to say media relations. All blogs are media, therefore, targeting blogs for coverage is media relations.
To support my argument, here are some media relations basics that can be easily transferred when targeting any media:
- Identify Your Target Audience – who are you trying to reach?
- Formulate Your Message – what do you want to say? How will your message vary across channels?
- Develop Your Delivery Strategy – how will you reach your target audiences with your message (in this case, which blogs will you target)?
- Which Blogs Are Most Influential – prioritize your target blog outlets (offer your story to the most influential one first) – but be realistic, target the best blog most likely to write about your topic?
- How Will You Coordinate Efforts to Maximize Impact – after your top target, how will you scale the rollout of your program to build momentum? What sharing aspects have you incorporated to push word-of-mouth for you message?
- How Will You Measure Results? – how will you track coverage and sharing of your content on and off the Web?
While there are some general rules of media relations that work when targeting blogs, here is some advice specific to blogger outreach: [Read more…]