I’ve written a lot this past month about how to develop an editorial strategy for your blog – and I’ve shared some additional thoughts about how to create a broader content strategy for all your other channels. If you’ve successfully completed the assignment and have memorialized your strategy in written form, you’ll quickly find yourself in need of some help for making that strategy a reality.
Take a deep breath and muster up some patience, as you can’t do everything you’ll want to do all at once. You’ll need to develop an approach to help you prioritize and plan your work – and you’ll need to find a rhythm and cadence that works best for you – if you are to be successful in implementing the strategy you’ve worked so hard to develop.
How can you take your first steps towards realizing the vision, mission, purpose and goals you’ve outlined in your strategy? I’ve managed hundreds of communications programs over the years, and I can think of no tool more valuable than the almighty editorial calendar for translating strategy into execution.
A solid understanding of the editorial calendar will help you accomplish the following:
- Prioritize and plan your work
- Capture and nurture ideas for future posts
- Encourage communication and collaboration across your team
- Capitalize on opportunities across departments or disciplines
- Inform teams about pending posts and to mobilize teams for sharing or amplification
- Manage the content production and approval process
- Provide a historical archive of past content ideas to accelerate new team member development
- Open lines of communication with external partners, influencers and collaborators
- Maintain consistent messaging and content balance across topics defined in your strategy
- And much, much more
If you’re not already convinced about the value editorial calendars provide for the content team as a whole, or you’re unsure how to develop an editorial calendar that will work best for your team or organization, I’ve collected some of my favorite posts about this topic to help you find the right approach and fit.
In no particular order, here are some of my favorite posts about how to create an editorial calendar. If you know of a great resource that I missed, please share your suggestion in the comments below this post. [Read more…]